Frutta V

Frutta V
Maria's Best Selling Giclee Print to Date

Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Fabric Stash and Hugs From the Past - October 21, 2010

My Fabric Stash:  Does anyone else have lots of fabric?  Maybe you purchased a great piece or remnant to create a dress, jacket, grandkids jp's, pillows, quilts, craft projects, upholstery, slipcovers, draperies, or ideas haunting you from the past.  Well that is me.  Along with many other creative mediums, fabric has been the standby since I was 10 years old and learned to sew on a treadle sewing machine.  A great Saturday was going to the fabric store with my Mom and going through all those pattern books.  Wow, we found the pattern, now it is on to the search every bolt in the store to finally choose the perfect fabric.  It took hours and hours.  Later in life I would do the same looking an choosing.  Off I would go to my little nest of a home and decide I could stay up all night and sew in order to wear my new outfit to work  or to that special occasion. 

More Fabric:  I have sorted through the fabric I now have on hand a few times in the past year.  Alot of the fabric brings back memories of projects created for the grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Too bad they grow so quickly.  I have fabric I purchased because I loved the patterns and colors.  I could write a chapter about my fiber arts era and the great wearable items I created and wear from time to time.  But I have no idea why I purchased some of the fabric.  Obviously at the time I had an creative idea. I do love fabric and I do love to sew.  It is like riding a bike, you never forget how to sew once you learn. 

Machine Stitched Handmade Vest (back)
 Original Design by Maria

Original Design Machine Stitched on
Handmade Vest
Front Side

More Creative Ideas Than Hours in the Day:  A few projects to finish before Kaitlyn's birthday (A felted shoulder bag with her initials) and a few other surprises for the grand kids that I can't disclose. But going though the fabric gave me inspiration to sell a few remnants on eBay and create a few projects for gift giving and home decorating. Oh does anyone have a need for new neat little pillows  with fringe and love?  I have a few to put on libertosart.com.

My Social Network and Friends from Venice High School, Venice FLI recently tried to connect to some of my high school friends in Venice FL through Facebook.  It has been a great and heartwarming experience.  I have to talk about Shyla Thayler from Ft. Myers, FL.  Shyla and I walked home from Venice High School together, as she lived close by.  In her words:  "i loved your mom...after walking home from school she always gave you a hug and me... i think of that so very often...as my folks never ever hugged.... i have always told people i wanted to be Italian because of you and your mom...LOL I love hugs.... " As she relayed to me via facebook, she never forgot my Moms hugs.  I cried like a baby when I read her words.  It was a great place to grow up and I still dearly love Venice FL.  When I visit, it is like going home. Shyla can we get together this winter? I hope my husband and I can spend a month there during the upcoming winter of 2011. 

Oh my gosh:  Can you see a Coastal Cottage Soap Shop in Venice FL?


# # # # # # #


Nighty night and a special hug for Shyla,

Maria L B

 

2 comments:

  1. i remember this piece !!!!!...still lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brought two or three boxes of fabric, and a brand new sewing maching to our new apartment, but I haven't been sewing == bad me. I have been painting. A group of eight is taking lessons together, and we are exhibiting this weekend. I sold one of my doodles -- titled "Stinging Nettle" to a woman from Lewes, Delaware who was here visiting. I am following my artist brother's painting advice, "Draw shapes you like, and fill in colors you like."
    I am glad that I checked into your blog. Love, your former neighbor, Mary Dulany

    ReplyDelete