Frutta V

Frutta V
Maria's Best Selling Giclee Print to Date

Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Art Studio Housekeeping - Famiglia & Note Dal Passato, February 5, 2011

Art Studio Housekeeping:
Somedays artists work at their craft no matter the random projects in various stages scattered around their work area or studio.  Materials pulled out to remind you of the creative idea you had yesterday.  It is great to be able to start and stop without having to totally have to clear and put away.  I have the great benefit of having a very large space to produce many art forms which enables me to maintain my artistic culture.  I am basically an organized person and domestic goddess.  All rooms in our home lend themselves to basic order.  My French Husband is a really neat and organized guy.  He can find any tool or screw in his "little wood shop".


Every now and then when I try to locate a certain art supply or reference and have to move other items I decide - enough.  I will stop all projects, reorganize and clean. So then I start and realize there is no turning back.  Art books, paints (oil, acrylic, watercolor), sketch pads, watercolor paper, canvases.  Oh we have so many canvases ranging from new, incomplete paintings and canvases waiting to be framed.  And that is not counting the canvas fabric I use for floorcloths.  Frames - wow all sizes and shapes, even broken frames. Mat board, foam core, glass.  I have artist brushes, pencils, erasers, pastels, and related items in vases and artists reference books arranged on one of two drafting tables.  I also have my mother's art books and many art magazines.  Floor easels, folding easels and other reference books. 



 
I guess you get the picture.  But not all the picture.  There is also the soap making supplies, materials, labels and molds.  In addition there is all the house paint, gesso and stencils used to produce my lovely floorcloths. I am blessed with the availability of having a supply of many other art materials to produce stained glass, metalwork, jewelry, stamps for note cards and collage as well as children's art supplies.  I have files of references on many subjects to sketch and paint and..........................!

I did complete the task at hand by vacuming, scrubbing and organizing a portion of the art materials.  I does give you additional energy to step into an organized art arena.

Famiglia (Family):
I wish I had learned Italian as child or even later on before my father died.  My grandparents imigrated from Sicily around 1901.  My grandfather came first and pathed the way for my grandmother Dominica and their first born Leonarado.  They lived in the Italian section of NY City on or near Houston Street.  Several more children were born there.  In 1913 they had saved enough money to purchase a parcel of farmland from my Great Uncle, Salvatore Gelfo in Central Delaware.  Many other Italians lived in the vicinity, many from the area in Sicily.  More children were born including my father.  My grandfather became a United States Citizen and speaking Italian was discouraged.  Although my grandmother never really learned English or became a citizen. 


 
The birthplace of my grandparents.
Baucina Sicily as it looks today.
Baucina is in the Province of Palermo.






My father was brilliant even though he had little education and I learned much from him.  A passionate gardener who could graft fruit trees and grape vines, produce wine, grow fruits and vegetables, create great Sicilian dishes, a skilled carpenter who could build anything from furniture to homes. He could make most strangers laugh and had a heart of gold.  I did learn so  much just by following him, watching and asking questions.  As he learned this traditions the same way, by following, watching and asking questions.  

Note dal Passato (Notes from the past):

So when I found some notes of translated English to Italian terms on the bulletin board in my studio I had to stop and give thanks to my heritage.  Both my mother and father were very creative people each with their own special talents.  I am blessed to know they blood flows through my veins and I have some of their talents as well.

Tulta la vita Maria continues (the artful life of Maria continues)!!

L'amore e goodnight (love and goodnight).

Maria Liberto Bessette

No comments:

Post a Comment